(THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR CONSULTING THE APPLICABLE LEGISLATION)
Acquiring a Portugal Residence Permit for Investment Activity (Golden Visa):
Portuguese law offers foreign investors who have entered the country regularly (holders of valid Schengen Visas, or beneficiaries of Visa exemption), the possibility of applying for a residence permit for pursuing investment activities by transferring capital, creating jobs or acquiring real estate.
Who can apply?
The legislation is being revoked and the investor may choose between one of the following investment’ activities for obtaining a residence permit (“Golden Visa”):
- Acquisition of real estate in the amount of € 500.000,00 (five hundred thousand euros) or more;
- Acquisition of real estate, whose construction was completed at least 30 years ago or located in urban rehabilitition areas and performing of remodeling works to the real estate acquired with global amount starting at € 350.000,00 (three hundred and fifty thounsand euros) and up;
- Capital transfer in an equal or higher amount of 1 million euros;
- Creation of at least 10 work posts.
Furthermore there is still expected the inclusion of investment in venture capital, cultural production activities, scientific research and a positive discrimination through a 20% Investment reduction in low density and productivity territories.
- Valid passport;
- Carrier of Schengen visa, if applicable, and in the 90 days from the day of first arrival to Portugal rectify the situation in SEF (foreigners and borders service);
- Criminal records of the origin country or from the one in which the citizen lives for more than a year;
- Statement authorizing the inquiry of Portuguese criminal records;
- Updated negative debt statement issued by the Tax and Customs Authority and the Social Security;
- Declaration under oath of the fulfillment of the investment activity requirements in the country;
- Health insurance.
This visa allows any investor to freely circulate and work in Europe (Shengen), without any restrictions.